Strategies for Coping with Neurogenic Communication DisordersMar 03, 2023
- Educate yourself and your family about the disorder: It is important to understand the specific communication disorder and its impact on communication. This includes learning about the medical and neurological aspects, as well as communication strategies that can help.
- Use alternative communication tools and strategies: Such as gestures, facial expression, communication boards, speech generating devices or sign language, can be used to help make communication easier.
- Utilize visual aids: Utilizing visual aids such as pictures, symbols, and charts can help individuals with neurogenic communication disorders to understand and express themselves.
- Focus on strengths: It is important to focus on the person’s strengths and abilities, rather than their limitations.
- Encourage interaction: Social interaction is important for people with communication disorders. Encourage interaction with family and friends by providing a supportive environment.
- Provide emotional support: Providing emotional support to individuals with neurogenic communication disorders can help them feel accepted and understood.
- Seek professional help: Professional help, such as speech-language therapy, can help to improve communication skills.
Nancy Wariari, MHA, MS.CCC-SLP